POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Smart little programming tricks, where to find ? : Re: Smart little programming tricks, where to find ? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:20:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smart little programming tricks, where to find ?
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Mar 2008 20:16:18
Message: <47e45de2$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>> Where do you think it doesn't assume referential transparency?
>
> Please reparse my sentence. I said it *does* assume referential
> transparency yet does nothing to *enforce* or even *check* for it.

What does Haskell do to enforce referential transparency, by the way? I
don't really understand monads any more, but it would seem to me that if
you piped the standard output of a Haskell program into a second Haskell
program, then the output of the second one back into the first one, you
could see some odd "non-transparent" things happen as each program's
output affected its input, yes?

Otherwise, I'm not sure where Erlang falls down, other than, as I said,
the obvious places where you're actually actively writing things to
disks and reading them back later.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"