POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Feeling the pinch yet? : Re: Feeling the pinch yet? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feeling the pinch yet?
From: St
Date: 21 Mar 2008 07:39:36
Message: <47e3ac88@news.povray.org>
By the way, I think I have the greenest solution to produce a car, but it's
too late really.

  Laugh if you like, I don't mind, but the solution is clockwork cars.

   Oh, I see that it's been discussed here:
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060828110406AApPSJA&show=7

   Some good points there, but really, they're missing the point.

   No factory that produces the car would have the user winding it up
themselves - impossible.

   No, in fact, you wouldn't need to wind it up at all, which also means
that there would be no 'winding' stations. (And no petrol stations too of
course).

   The factory produces a clockwork 'engine' with two pre-wound springs in
the car. You go buy it, and drive it off the forecourt. As you drive it,
only one spring drives the car, and when that spring winds down enough not
to work effectively, the other one kicks in to continue the journey. Here's
the good bit: As the second spring is driving you forward, it re-winds the
first spring, so this would work in such a way that they would forever be
swapping over and eliminating any hands on winding up.

    Now, I initially thought that these two springs would be side-by-side,
but thinking about it more, that would probably cause some significant
steering imbalance. So, you would have a car version that is both front and
rear wheel drive. You would have two spring units at the front, (one on each
front wheel), that both work simultaneously, and the same for the rear
wheels. The same method applies as above, but the front two swap with the
back two and so forth. This would eliminate steering imbalance

     Yes, the units would still need lubricating, but the car wouldn't need
petrol, and it wouldn't burn oil.

      ~Steve~