POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : comparing POV images and photos - camera attributes : Re: comparing POV images and photos - camera attributes Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:15:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: comparing POV images and photos - camera attributes
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 21 Mar 2008 03:04:19
Message: <47e36c03$1@news.povray.org>
> Thank you Tim.  I try to explain me better because I have still a doubt.
> The
> photo camera angles were 31.5 x 24.25 and i placed it at 3 m height
> (i took photos looking at the soil). Initially, in order to reproduce pov
> images similar to the photos, i placed camera at 3 m from ground (<0,3,0>
> in
> scale 1:1) setting camera angle=31.5. But i noticed i have better results
> if i
> place camera at 15.6 m from ground setting camera angle=6 (i did not use
> tan(angle), so I changed proportionally the two values). I would
> understand why
> it happens (ok, it could also be due to my model, if it is not good it may
> works
> better with different parameters from those of the photo camera).
> camera).

POV acts like an ideal pinhole camera, at smaller angles
the perspective effect is reduced because the rays are closer
to being parallel. A RL camera uses lenses that correct for
perspective distortion somewhat, so you can only roughly
match the perspective distortion in some photo. If you just
want a flat picture with no distortion, use an orthographic
camera in POV.