POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A comparison : Re: A comparison Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:23:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A comparison
From: scott
Date: 20 Mar 2008 07:43:30
Message: <47e25bf2$1@news.povray.org>
>   Half the developers working on Haskell are Micro$oft employees.

Who's the other one working for then? ;-)

> I can't begin to imagine in what universe that even makes sense - M$ is
> pushing F#, not Haskell. So why...? WTF...?

MS is a big company, they don't just write OSs.

http://research.microsoft.com/research/default.aspx

>   The majority of non-trivial Haskell code doesn't work properly on
> Windoze. Only Linux. Or maybe Mac OS. But not Windoze.

Why is that?  Is it a problem with the Windows compiler?

> So M$ are paying people to develop stuff that doesn't even propperly
> support M$'s own flagship product...? OK, I'm completely lost now!

Who knows, maybe parts of the next MS OS will be written using a functional
language?  I'm sure they are investigating such possibilities, they can't
afford not to.