POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A comparison : Re: A comparison Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:22:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A comparison
From: Invisible
Date: 20 Mar 2008 06:13:56
Message: <47e246f4$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> If all you're after is the ultimate machine efficiency, C can probably
>> still do that better than almost any other language, given enough skill.
>>
>> But what about factors such as code size, readability,
>> maintainability, code reuse, polymorphism, etc etc etc?
>
> Yeh you're right, maybe MS wrote Vista in Haskell ;-)

Maybe if they *had* written it in Haskell it would have come to market
much faster, cheaper, and it would have actually *worked* properly. :-P

OK, joking aside, I present the following seriously weird fact:

   Half the developers working on Haskell are Micro$oft employees.

I can't begin to imagine in what universe that even makes sense - M$ is
pushing F#, not Haskell. So why...? WTF...? Besides, M$ is renowned to
promoting low-quality badly-written software. Why would they care about
a high-quality language like Haskell? It all makes no sense...

I present a second fact, which only seems weird considering the first one:

   The majority of non-trivial Haskell code doesn't work properly on
Windoze. Only Linux. Or maybe Mac OS. But not Windoze.

So M$ are paying people to develop stuff that doesn't even propperly
support M$'s own flagship product...? OK, I'm completely lost now!

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/