POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You know you've been tracing too long when... : Re: You know you've been tracing too long when... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:18:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You know you've been tracing too long when...
From: scott
Date: 20 Mar 2008 05:29:24
Message: <47e23c84@news.povray.org>
>>> Right. Well to me, if the prices have different numbers of *digits* in
>>> them, they're pretty damn far apart! ;-)
>>
>> That's why they sell stuff for $999 instead of $1000.
>
> Wow. I thought only the Americans did that crap. :-)  I don't remember
> anything in Europe costing something other than a nice round number.

ALmost everything in the supermarkets here ends in a 9.  The salad I get is
1.99, the carton of juice is 69, the bread roll is 19, the packet of
chocolate is 1.29 etc.  But, the great thing is, those prices are the prices
you pay at the till :-)  I still have memories of spending 5 minutes
counting out all my leftover change in Chicago airport to exactly $4.39 (or
whatever) to buy a meal from a fast-food place, only to be told I needed to
pay $4.81 (even though the sign clearly said the meal was $4.39 in big
writing).  Was a bit awkward.