POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Backup : Re: Backup Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:23:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Backup
From: Invisible
Date: 20 Mar 2008 05:19:56
Message: <47e23a4c@news.povray.org>
>> I'm just not keen on attaching and removing bits of hardware on a
>> server. Our QA guys probably wouldn't like it either.
>
> That's what USB is *for*.

Maybe I'm just twitchy because of that scanner I just installed. Some
guy bought a cheap-looking business card scanner. It comes with a
hackish-looking program that lets you press a button and scan a business
card and insert it into your Outlook contacts list. (Huh? I don't get
how that's physically possible...)

On one PC, it puts the PC into an infinite loop where the "Found New
Hardware" wizard keeps popping up and won't **** off. The hardware also
won't work. On other PC, every time you plug it in it *demands* the
product installation CD. Won't do anything without it. And often doesn't
work the first time. You gotta go through several iterations of
uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, rebooting the PC, and
performing voodoo chants over a burning candle. And then, eventually, it
works. And it keeps working - until the next time you unplug it.

I have no idea WTF all that is about! But doing that kind of crap with a
server just makes me damn nervous...

> But as I say, plug the backup machine into the
> net next to the server, and back up over the network. Works fine. It's
> how I do it.

It has a flavour...

>> I would anticipate that formatting the drive is quite a lot faster
>> than trying to actually delete the existing files on it.
>
> Oh, if you want to delete everything, I suppose. If you're only putting
> one backup file on there, it's probably equally fast.

Our backup software has a "backup to folder" option, but it works like a
file copy. IME, deleting millions of files isn't "fast"...

>> Really? What on earth makes you think that a highly complex and
>> fragile device like a HD will last longer than a simple lump of tape?
>
> Experience.  Do you really think you can rewrite a tape 10,000 times?

Well, most of the tapes we own were put into service long before I
joined the company, and they're still going strong. (Now and then we
have a tape go dud and I replace it.) That's plenty long enough for me...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/