POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : IE8 and standards -- Joel on Software : Re: IE8 and standards -- Joel on Software Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:20:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IE8 and standards -- Joel on Software
From: Warp
Date: 20 Mar 2008 03:55:18
Message: <47e22676@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> He also asks:  "what is a web standard?"  I'd say it's whatever that bunch of
> enterprises comprising the W3C -- including Microsoft -- do come up with in
> order to advance and to level the field for all players, including the little
> ones as he puts it.

  Maybe the relevant question is not "what *is* a standard", but more like
"what a standard *should be*".

  In an idea world a standard should be the approximate opposite of a
technological monopoly: Standardization means that basically anyone can
implement the standard, in other words, the technology becomes open.

--
                                                          - Warp