POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Smart little programming tricks, where to find ? : Re: Smart little programming tricks, where to find ? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:23:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smart little programming tricks, where to find ?
From: Darren New
Date: 19 Mar 2008 22:07:01
Message: <47e1d4d5$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>>> But alas, it's not purely functional,
>>
>> Yeah. I don't think you could get a real distributed language with
>> everything being truly functional, could you?
>
> Um... why?

Because it's nondeterministic? It's I/O driven? It's asynchronous?

I mean, to the extent that you think a tail-recursive function accepting
asynchronous messages and sending asynchronous messages in return can be
"functional," then it looks like Erlang is functional.

>> I mean, what's the functional equivalent of "the machine running the
>> calculation just burst into flames"? :-)
>
> Throwing an exception, as a guess. Like a division by zero error, but
> less deterministic. (??!?!) ;-)

Who throws the exception? The machine running the calculation isn't in
any shape to do so.

>> What's the functional equivalent of "we've just released a new version
>> of this function"?
>
> Now that's an interesting question...

Let me know when you figure it out. ;-)

>>> and the general style just seemed untidy and complicated. It's just
>>> not my cup of tea...
>>
>> Yep. Altho the language itself seems pretty simple and straightforward,
>
> If by "simple and straight forward" you mean "assumes referential
> transparency but doesn't actually enforce it or make any attempt to
> check that it's there", then sure. Go knock yourself out. ;-)

Where do you think it doesn't assume referential transparency?

By "simple and straightforward" I meant in the sense that there are
relatively few types and primitives and interactions between them. More
like Tcl or C than Ada or C++.

> Gotta love documentation where you can't figure out what order to read
> it in...

It's not unusual. It's how I learned most of the languages I know. But
then, most of the languages I learned that way didn't have 1500+ pages
of documentation for the libraries. :-)  A two-pass read of the library
docs is going to take a while.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"