POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You know you've been tracing too long when... : Re: You know you've been tracing too long when... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You know you've been tracing too long when...
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 19 Mar 2008 13:25:15
Message: <47e15a8b$1@news.povray.org>

> Darren New wrote:
>
>> Good lord, man! I edited the videos I took in Africa like 10 years
>> ago. Back when a 1 megapixel still camera was pretty naff.
>
> Hang on... 10 years ago, digital still cameras didn't exist, digital
> video cameras where those things that news crews owned, and "the
> multimedia revolution" was still considered all neat and futuristic.
> Decoding MPEG video in realtime required custom ASICs to do the DCTs
> fast enough. So where the hell did *you* get a time machine from?!

Note 10 years ago means 1998.

Wikipedia:

"The first true digital camera that recorded images as a computerized
file was likely the Fuji DS-1P of 1988, which recorded to a 16 MB
internal memory card that used a battery to keep the data in memory.
This camera was never marketed in the United States, and has not been
confirmed to have shipped even in Japan.

The first commercially available digital camera was the 1990 Dycam Model
1; it also sold as the Logitech Fotoman. It used a CCD image sensor,
stored pictures digitally, and connected directly to a PC for download.
[...]
In 1997 the first megapixel cameras for consumers were marketed. The
first camera that offered the ability to record video clips may have
been the Ricoh RDC-1 in 1995."