POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small project : Re: A small project Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:23:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A small project
From: Invisible
Date: 19 Mar 2008 11:56:45
Message: <47e145cd$1@news.povray.org>
>> I had a feeling you'd say that.
>
> Hey, Tcl does just about everything. That's why I like it.

Well, it does a few things that are useful. (E.g., it's one of the few
portable languages that lets you access Windoze-specific file attributes.)

>> It looks like I can use this to put an icon with a tooltip in the
>> taskbar. I was kind of hoping to be able to pop up small messages as
>> well, but I guess that isn't critical.
>
> You can do that. You don't need this extension for it. Use "wm
> OVERRIDE_REDIRECT" or some such on your window, and you won't get a
> border or close buttons, so you just position it in the corner and draw
> into it.

And how the heck do I figure out *where* the corner of the screen is?
(And, for that matter, avoid stealing the input focus when the window
opens?)

> What's unreliable about it? I've very rarely had a problem with anything
> not working as specified. Indeed, I've been using it for 13 years and
> only found two rather obscure bugs.
>
> If you mean "it doesn't work as I expect" (e.g., things complaining
> about malformed lists), post your code and I'm happy to show you how to
> do it reliably.

It's a scripting language. It doesn't really "do" error-handling. If
something goes wrong, the script tends to just choke in an unpredictable
way.

Many of the Tcl scripts I run seem to leak memory pretty badly. I did
have a Tcl script that did something every 5 minutes - but I discovered
that the longer it runs, the more RAM it eats. I now rerun the script
every 5 minutes using an external tool.

There are many, *many* things that work unexpectedly in Tcl. But then,
the language isn't really set up for making production-grade
applications, it's designed for quickly throwing things together that
work on the day you test them.

The list goes on...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/