POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Smart little programming tricks, where to find ? : Re: Smart little programming tricks, where to find ? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:20:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smart little programming tricks, where to find ?
From: Invisible
Date: 19 Mar 2008 11:47:32
Message: <47e143a4@news.povray.org>
>> But alas, it's not purely functional,
>
> Yeah. I don't think you could get a real distributed language with
> everything being truly functional, could you?

Um... why?

> I mean, what's the functional equivalent of "the machine
> running the calculation just burst into flames"? :-)

Throwing an exception, as a guess. Like a division by zero error, but
less deterministic. (??!?!) ;-)

> What's the
> functional equivalent of "we've just released a new version of this
> function"?

Now that's an interesting question...

>> and the general style just seemed untidy and complicated. It's just
>> not my cup of tea...
>
> Yep. Altho the language itself seems pretty simple and straightforward,

If by "simple and straight forward" you mean "assumes referential
transparency but doesn't actually enforce it or make any attempt to
check that it's there", then sure. Go knock yourself out. ;-)

> the infrastructure used to support installs and reliability and such is
> pretty dense. Lots of forward references to stuff I haven't read yet,
> and I haven't yet found the roadmap to the right order to read things
> in. :-)

Gotta love documentation where you can't figure out what order to read
it in...

OTOH, try just *finding* a good reference for Haskell for beginners...!

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/