POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Backup : Re: Backup Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:17:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Backup
From: Darren New
Date: 19 Mar 2008 11:13:05
Message: <47e13b91$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> I guess we *could* back up to a hard drive. But I'm not really that keen
> on the idea. We would have to shut the server down to connect the drive,

USB.  Or, apparently, something called "eSata" now?

Oh, is your machine back in the prehistoric pre-USB era still? So buy a
$200 desktop machine that *does* have USB, put XP on it or something,
and back it up over the network.

> start it back up again, format the drive,

Format it once, yes.

> copy all the data, somehow verify the data,

They call that "the backup program".

> I don't have any hard evidence to back this up, but isn't power-on the
> most common time for a HD to fail? (Rather like lightbulbs.) Wouldn't
> the constant cycling tend to wear them down?

Once a day is "constant"?  Besides, it's your backup drive. Buy two.
Switch back and forth between them. When one fails, buy another.

> The other small problem is that 30 harddrives presumably take up
> slightly more space than 30 DDS tapes. ;-)

Well, yeah, but they also last a lot longer, I expect.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"