POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Smart little programming tricks, where to find ? : Re: Smart little programming tricks, where to find ? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:19:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smart little programming tricks, where to find ?
From: Darren New
Date: 19 Mar 2008 11:00:06
Message: <47e13886$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> But alas, it's not purely functional,

Yeah. I don't think you could get a real distributed language with
everything being truly functional, could you? Certainly you couldn't do
things like talking to device drivers in a *purely* functional way,
methinks.  I mean, what's the functional equivalent of "the machine
running the calculation just burst into flames"? :-)  What's the
functional equivalent of "we've just released a new version of this
function"?

> and the general style just seemed
> untidy and complicated. It's just not my cup of tea...

Yep. Altho the language itself seems pretty simple and straightforward,
the infrastructure used to support installs and reliability and such is
pretty dense. Lots of forward references to stuff I haven't read yet,
and I haven't yet found the roadmap to the right order to read things
in. :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"