POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small project : Re: A small project Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:24:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A small project
From: Darren New
Date: 19 Mar 2008 10:41:25
Message: <47e13425$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>
>> Tcl. More specifically....
>>
>> http://tktable.sourceforge.net/winico/winico.html
>
> I had a feeling you'd say that.

Hey, Tcl does just about everything. That's why I like it.

> It looks like I can use this to put an icon with a tooltip in the
> taskbar. I was kind of hoping to be able to pop up small messages as
> well, but I guess that isn't critical.

You can do that. You don't need this extension for it. Use "wm
OVERRIDE_REDIRECT" or some such on your window, and you won't get a
border or close buttons, so you just position it in the corner and draw
into it.

> Apparently the latest version of Freewrap includes this extension, and
> it does seem to work. I'm not very confortable with using an unreliable
> language like Tcl, but there doesn't appear to be a lot of option...

What's unreliable about it? I've very rarely had a problem with anything
not working as specified. Indeed, I've been using it for 13 years and
only found two rather obscure bugs.

If you mean "it doesn't work as I expect" (e.g., things complaining
about malformed lists), post your code and I'm happy to show you how to
do it reliably.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"