POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Smart little programming tricks, where to find ? : Re: Smart little programming tricks, where to find ? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:20:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smart little programming tricks, where to find ?
From: stbenge
Date: 19 Mar 2008 10:22:06
Message: <47e12f9e@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Btw, often people wonder why C++ is so popular, given that there are
> so many "better" languages out there.

What's wrong with C++? I just found out how to make a dynamic 2d array
and save numbers to a file via binary representation. The possibilities
just opened up...

>   IMO one very important factor for the popularity of C++ is the staggering
> amount of libraries for it. Since almost all C libraries can be used in C++,
> the amount of available libraries is simply enormous.

A very big plus :)

>   This is, IMO, often one of the major killers for new languages: Lack of
> libraries. The language may be the most perfect language in the world, but
> if you don't have libraries to do what you want, it's almost useless.
> Nobody wants to reinvent the wheel for every little thing that has been
> already implemented to death by other people.

This is why I'm giving up Euphoria. It was great when I has DOS, but now
that I have XP, the best graphics library I could find was a sucky
Allegro implementation. Very buggy and wasteful, since the best it can
do is a difficult version of triple buffering, and only in certain video
modes. I used to arrive at a better result using only *one* virtual
screen...

C++ is great. If I don't like a certain library, I can find a new one.
My current favorites are SDL (for CA sims) and HGE (for games). Irrlicht
looks promising, though I haven't played with it much.

Sam