POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You know you've been tracing too long when... : Re: You know you've been tracing too long when... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:15:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You know you've been tracing too long when...
From: Invisible
Date: 19 Mar 2008 09:55:45
Message: <47e12971$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> I have a 1.9 Astra at the moment and I hate it (I didn't have any choice
> in the matter). I can't wait until I get the replacement.

IIRC I had a Vaxhuall Astra (or was it a Vectra?) as a curtasy car once.
It drove like a brick, unless you press the little "SPORT" button. And
then it drives like a dodgem car. o_O Neither is much fun...

>> I doubt it - the "luxury cars" they show you on Top Gear all cost a

> They are getting on for supercars, like Aston Martins, Porsches and
> Ferraris, certainly not family cars.

Well yeah - they're luxury cars, and have a price tag to match.

> I'm talking about cars like a BMW
> 320, Audi A4 etc, Mercedes C Class, all would be looked upon as a luxury
> family car and cost about 25k

If that's the case, why do all the people driving them act like they own
the entire road network then? I always thought that the BMW drivers'
massive superiority complex comes from the fact that the car costs as
much as a small house...

Similarly, I was under the impression that a Mercedes is so expensive
that only rock stars can actually afford to buy one.

> (compared to say a basic Ford Mondeo or
> Peugeot 407 which can be had for around 15000 pounds).

I wouldn't drive a Ford if you paid me. I have no idea what a Peugeot
407 is, but it sounds much more inviting...

> You can even get a brand new Porsche for 33k.

Seriously?

Heh, good thing my dad doesn't have 33k! ;-)

> Oh yeh, I wasn't disputing whether it was a good deal or not, just that
> you can buy a perfectly decent brand new car for under 10k, a basic
> family car for 15k, and a fast luxury family car for 25k.

Well, I guess at 10k it might as well be 10,000k - either way I don't
have that kind of money - but I find your statements extremely
surprising. Cars contain *metal*, and metal is very expensive. Cars
require extensive safety testing, and that's expensive. And few people
make cars, so they can charge the earth for them. Why *wouldn't* they be
expensive?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/