POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You know you've been tracing too long when... : Re: You know you've been tracing too long when... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:09:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You know you've been tracing too long when...
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 19 Mar 2008 09:31:13
Message: <47e123b1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>> Wow, that's good. I can't find any with onboard ethernet and > VGA
>> graphics for that price. Where did you get it? (This makes a pleasant
>> change, I must say ;-))
>
> OK, hold on a sec...
> http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132273

Nice. Ebuyer is now bookmarked.

>>> And my point is that a few years back, I put together a really
>>> high-spec PC with a boatload of RAM, very fast CPU and a quality GPU

>>> *entry level* stuff costs that much.
>>
>> Well they do sell stuff that cheap then don't they ;-)
>
> They sell *one* product that cheap - the MiniMac. (And that's the
> starting price.) Everything else is way more expensive.

Well, it starts at 399 actually but that doesn't alter your point!

>> What about a screen? Keyboard?
> What about them? I already own those things, so I don't need to buy any
> more...

But Apple don't sell DIY bits. So it's a bit unfair to compare with that
scenario. "I already own a MacBook* so I don't need to buy one. Free!"

*Haha, I typed McBook by mistake the first time, how crap a laptop would
that be. Although, you'd probably get a drink and fries with it...

>>> Well, the idea of an Power Mac with 8 all-powerful Xeon cores does

>>> around. You could almost buy a second-hand *car* for that!

>> car for that. :)

Cars are not expensive second-hand unless you want an almost-brand-new one.

> never have that kind of money.]

See Scott's reply.

>> An order of magnitude difference would be x10 to my mind.
> Right. Well to me, if the prices have different numbers of *digits* in
> them, they're pretty damn far apart! ;-)

999 and 1,000 ? (cheap shot, I know ;-))

>> Anyway, why compare with the Air? A bog-standard regular Macbook has a

> Ah, so only 2x instead of 3x the price then. :-)

than it is, though.

> Well, you can't deny, the Air does *look* damn fine.

I can't, and I won't! :)

>> Hmm. iCat, anyone? Is this the firewire port? *MRAAAAOW!*
>
> o_O
>
> No group hug for you...

Hey c'mon, it's an honest mistake anyone could make...