POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You know you've been tracing too long when... : Re: You know you've been tracing too long when... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:13:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You know you've been tracing too long when...
From: scott
Date: 19 Mar 2008 09:17:14
Message: <47e1206a$1@news.povray.org>

> actually quite keen... until I drove it. No matter how hard you boot it,
> it JUST WON'T MOVE! Huge 2 liter engine, and it goes slower than my old
> 1.1 L Ford... WTF?

I have a 1.9 Astra at the moment and I hate it (I didn't have any choice in
the matter).  A) the turbo-lag is so bad that it's dangerous sometimes, you
put your foot down and nothing happens for at least 1 second, *then* it
goes.  B) You cannot turn off the really agressive traction control, so you
are going round a bend and suddenly it cuts the power for a second or two,
C) it's front wheel drive D) all the controls feel like they are connected
to jelly.  I can't wait until I get the replacement.

>> A brand new small car can be bought in the 7000-9000 pounds range (eg
>> Peugeot 107/207 type car).  For 25,000 you'd be able to get a pretty fast
>> luxury family car.
>
> I doubt it - the "luxury cars" they show you on Top Gear all cost a damn

They are getting on for supercars, like Aston Martins, Porsches and
Ferraris, certainly not family cars.  I'm talking about cars like a BMW 320,
Audi A4 etc, Mercedes C Class, all would be looked upon as a luxury family
car and cost about 25k (compared to say a basic Ford Mondeo or Peugeot 407
which can be had for around 15000 pounds).  You can even get a brand new
Porsche for 33k.

> perfectly reasonable price. In fact, he seemed to think it was a pretty
> damn good deal. And he's owned a hell of a lot of cars...

Oh yeh, I wasn't disputing whether it was a good deal or not, just that you
can buy a perfectly decent brand new car for under 10k, a basic family car
for 15k, and a fast luxury family car for 25k.