POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Backup : Re: Backup Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:20:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Backup
From: Tom Austin
Date: 19 Mar 2008 07:24:19
Message: <47e105f3$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>>> DDS only goes up to a maximum of 80 GB. My server holds 103 GB.
>>

> I guess we *could* back up to a hard drive. But I'm not really that keen
> on the idea. We would have to shut the server down to connect the drive,
> start it back up again, format the drive, copy all the data, somehow
> verify the data, shut the server down, disconnect the drive, put it
> somewhere safe, and start up the server again. Every single night. No
> thanks...
>
> I don't have any hard evidence to back this up, but isn't power-on the
> most common time for a HD to fail? (Rather like lightbulbs.) Wouldn't
> the constant cycling tend to wear them down? Hmm, mind you, I guess it's
> no worse than all the other PCs here that get switched on each morning...

This is a pretty narrow view of what can be done with a HD for a backup.
USB, Firewire, hot-swap bays, hot-swap raid enclosures, etc....
All of which don't present the problem that you describe.

Backing up to a HD is not ideal for most situations.
I'm not going to try to persuade you to do it.

It comes with its own problems that other media doesn't have.
It isn't mainstream.

> The other small problem is that 30 harddrives presumably take up
> slightly more space than 30 DDS tapes. ;-)

That depends on your backup strategy.  If it requires 30 separate media,
then yes, storage space can be a premium.  Just tuck one or two near QA
girls desk and say 'hi' each time you get one ;-)

Tom