POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You know you've been tracing too long when... : Re: You know you've been tracing too long when... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:11:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You know you've been tracing too long when...
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 19 Mar 2008 06:09:12
Message: <47e0f458$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:
>>> I just meant that Macs are very rare. [Despite all of Apple's efforts.]
>>
>> Less common. I wouldn't say rare. I know half a dozen people who use
>> them, and we all started using them completely independently.
>
> Well, maybe it's because I work in the wrong field, but I've never ever
> seen a real, live Mac except on TV. To me, that seems pretty rare.

I only work with one of those people.

>>> buy 3 seperate PCs.
>>
>> That's very impressive, I had no idea you could buy PCs that cheaply.
>> Although I personally certainly wouldn't risk it.
>

> So I guess *three* is a slight exaggeration. But only slight...

That would be a much lower spec machine than the minimac, I would guess.
Would the motherboard have anything other than a token graphics card? I
bought an Asus mobo for about that price and it can only do VGA, 16-bit
colour. The minimac will have a much better graphics card, and ethernet,
and firewire.

> I suppose if you wanted to be picky, the OS will cost you 2x that amount
> alone, assuming you're getting it from Micro$oft... [And when you buy a
> Mac, you're partly paying for a proprietry OS, so I guess that would be
> a fairer comparison.]

linux). Don't forget, it's not just the OS, there's a lot of bundled
software too, including a very well-stocked UNIX flavour (yesyes, I
know, technically that is part of the OS). Oh, and the mini's optical
drive will be a DVD-reader too, at the very least.

>> My use of 'significant' is certainly arguable. However, you act as if
>> Macs are forever outside your price range, like Aston Martins to a
>> second-hand Peugeot owner*. They're not. I bet you spent more on your
>> last graphics card than I did on my last Mac. :)
[snip]

Okay, bad example through wild guess-work :) But my previous statement
still stands. Yes you can buy a top-end Mac for upwards of 2 grand but
the same can also be said of a PC. I have personally used several PC
laptops priced at under 500 quid and several Mac laptops priced at 700
quid and up, and I know which I consider better value for money, by
quite a long way.

Please note, I'm not trying to persuade you to buy a Mac - it *is* a lot
of money to spend on something you don't know much about. And many
people won't like them. And you're a gamer, so you definitely can't
replace your PC with one. I'm just saying that it's not the
order-of-magnitude difference you seem to be focusing on!

I do get annoyed by their excessively smug marketing, tho.