POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You know you've been tracing too long when... : Re: You know you've been tracing too long when... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:12:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You know you've been tracing too long when...
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 18 Mar 2008 13:22:50
Message: <47e0087a$1@news.povray.org>
>> I just meant that Macs are very rare. [Despite all of Apple's efforts.]
>
> Less common. I wouldn't say rare. I know half a dozen people who use
> them, and we all started using them completely independently.

Well, maybe it's because I work in the wrong field, but I've never ever
seen a real, live Mac except on TV. To me, that seems pretty rare.
(Also, presumably that's why they're so expensive? Because they can't
sell many of them...)

>> 3 seperate PCs.
>
> That's very impressive, I had no idea you could buy PCs that cheaply.
> Although I personally certainly wouldn't risk it.

So I guess *three* is a slight exaggeration. But only slight...

I suppose if you wanted to be picky, the OS will cost you 2x that amount
alone, assuming you're getting it from Micro$oft... [And when you buy a
Mac, you're partly paying for a proprietry OS, so I guess that would be
a fairer comparison.]

>> But no, that's not significantly more expensive. ;-)
>
> My use of 'significant' is certainly arguable. However, you act as if
> Macs are forever outside your price range, like Aston Martins to a
> second-hand Peugeot owner*. They're not. I bet you spent more on your
> last graphics card than I did on my last Mac. :)

Hmm, let me go check...

No, you're wrong.

I don't think there is any Mac in Creation that can be had for such a
sum. And that's *the* most expensive graphics card I've ever bought, by
at least one order of magnitude. :-P

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/