POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You know you've been tracing too long when... : Re: You know you've been tracing too long when... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:12:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You know you've been tracing too long when...
From: Invisible
Date: 18 Mar 2008 11:36:07
Message: <47dfef77$1@news.povray.org>
>>  From what I've seen of mobile phone "pictures" and "videos", the
>> quality as so abysmal as to be laughable. I'm talking about video that
>> you'd actually want to *watch*! ;-)
>
> My camera takes still images at 3072*2304, but movies at 640*480;
> mobiles phones at 320*240 (or better now).

My camera is 3 megapixels. My mum bought one that's 5 megapixels. She
was all, like, "hey, my camera's better than yours!" Until we tried to
use it. And we discovered that my camera takes "pictures", and hers
produces grainy unrecognisible things.

I hypothesize this is due to my camera's 45 mm lense, and her camera's
2.1 mm lense. >:-)

Having the best sensor in the world won't help you if you have crap
optics. So, yeah, telling me the resolution is interesting, but it isn't
the whole story.

> Neither of these items are
> designed primarily for taking movies, so a trade-off has to occur.

No kidding.

(My camera fits in a backpack. My mum's camera fits in your shirt pocket.)

>> As for YouTube, most of it seems to be either illegal movies, mobile
>> phone recordings [most of which demonstrate an awe-inspiring level of
>> pointlessness], or footage of computer games.
>
> Otherwise known as 'things young geeks do' :-)

LOL!

>> Video editing is something that moderately interests me. And I have a
>> digital camcorder now. But I'm not aware of any way of getting the
>> digital data from the camera to my PC, and that presumably means I'll
>> need an expensive video capture card...
>
> If you want real-time editing and remastering back to the camera then
> quite possibly; if you just want to pull the data then play with it for
> burning or uploading then as Gilles said you just need capacity. How
> does your camera want to output data, let me guess Firewire?

Composite or S-Video.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/