POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Backup : Re: Backup Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:18:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Backup
From: Invisible
Date: 18 Mar 2008 08:50:30
Message: <47dfc8a6$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> What do you use to back up data? I'm not talking about permanent
>> archival, I'm talking about rolling backups so that if a small
>> meteorite hits your server room, you don't loose all the data you're
>> working on.
>
> Our backups are usually used when someone accidentally deletes a file
> (or a lot of files!) from the server...

Well, yeah, that's what you end up actually *using* the system for. ;-)

[Or maybe just because Word crashed and ate your document, and you don't
want to start from scratch again.]

> AFAIK over at IT they use a tape backup system - it runs every night on
> a rolling basis, I think at the moment you can get a backup from the
> last 7 or 10 days, after that they start overwriting.  On top of that
> weekly ones are kept and stored separately (so I assume that allows you
> to get back 7 or 10 weeks).  It's pretty complex and I don't know much
> about the details

Nah. Sounds like exactly what we have here.

> but I do know that a while back they had to make
> some changes because there wasn't enough time overnight to do the backup
> :-)

Well, that's why we only back up "changed" files nightly, and do a full
backup at the weekends only. It used to be touch and go whether it would
complete by Monday - but since I installed higher capacity drives, it
seems to back up very much faster.

No, the limitation I'm running into now is space, not time.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/