POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : quicker render alternatives to povray : Re: quicker render alternatives to povray Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:22:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: quicker render alternatives to povray
From: Alain
Date: 17 Mar 2008 18:16:48
Message: <47defbe0@news.povray.org>
Rahul nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/03/16 16:19:
> I use povray to render molecules from co-ordinate files. Unfortunately the
> specifics of my problem demand that I write my own parser (rather than use VMD
> , rasmol etc.) that parses from my coordinates to a .pov.
>
> My scene is basically nothing more than a large number of spheres(of different
> sizes and colors) Povray works great for me for rendering an excellent high
> quality final output.
>
> Unfortunately there are parts in my development cycle where I need a faster
> render. Low quality acceptable. Are there any options people would recommend?
>
> I dont even need the full ammunition of a raytracer. But something that could
> act on  a similar-to-povray file would be ideal. (or something that a povray
> ...pov file could easily be parsed into)
>
> The idea is to allow users to adjust molecular positions in an editor (vi or
> emacs) and have a second window display these changes dynamically. So I need
> something fast. I know I can probably code it in OpenGL or something but I was
> just checking if there are other easier alternatives?
>

> Any suggestions are, of course, greatly appreciated!
>
> -Rahul

Try puting all spheres representing the same element in an union, and assigh the
pigment to that union. That mean about 4 unions for most organic molecules:
carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen.
If all, or most, spheres use the same finish, set that finish as the default
finish. Do the same for the proeminent pigment like:
#default texture{pigment{Carbon}finish{Your_finish}}

This can make the scene file smaller, saving some parsing time. It will also
take less RAM once parsed.

Try adding +q2 to the command line.
q0 and q1 ambient light only, plain pigments as texture.
q2 and q3 simple point light only, no transparency, no reflections, no shadows.
q4 add shadows.
q5 add area_light.
q6 and q7 add textures, support photons.
q8 add reflections, transparency and refraction. Still no media.
q9, 10, 11 all features enabled.

Turn off antialiasing.

Use a lower resolution, and use a lower screen resolution.

Does it need to access the swap file? (LOTS of disk activity) Add more RAM.

Get a faster computer, with a powerfull CPU, lots of RAM, video card unimportent.

--
Alain
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.