POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You know you've been tracing too long when... : Re: You know you've been tracing too long when... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:24:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You know you've been tracing too long when...
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 17 Mar 2008 17:11:38
Message: <47deec9a$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:

> I can't believe I'm the first one asking this, but...
>
> ....what the HE** do you need a 40 MP image for?!?!?

> Or, if its a 4:3 image, then it's like 7300x5475, or 24"x18" at 300DPI.

7800 x 3937.

Zazzle can print this at 100 DPI, yielding 78 x 39 inches.

Yes, you heard me correctly: 6.5 x 3.25 *feet*. As in, the size of a wall.

Almost all my posters on Zazzle have been rendered at sufficiently high
resolution that they can be ordered up to this large. So, for example,
if you take *this* image:

http://www.zazzle.com/MathematicalOrchid/product/228133982621059924

and print it out at *wall size*, it's practically an interactive zoom by
itself. You can stand on the other size of the room and look at it, and
then you can walk up to it and view the details with your head less than
an inch from the surface - and you will see new detail at that distance.
(!!)

(That image is actually 48 megapixels, because the long dimension is a
nice power of two... So the poster prints at slightly more than 100 DPI.)

> That's a REALLY nice print :)

Yes, yes it is... It *will* cost you [at least] $130, however. Plus postage.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/