POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adventures with digital painting : Re: Adventures with digital painting Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adventures with digital painting
From: nemesis
Date: 17 Mar 2008 13:23:36
Message: <47deb728$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> nemesis wrote:
>> Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
>>> I think for anything particularly useful, you're going to have big
>>> libraries anyway.
>>
>> I didn't say otherwise.  I said .NET is closed and non-standardized
>> and C#
>> without it is like bread and no butter -- well, much worse actually...
>
> Yeah. And Erlang without the standard libraries (including gen_server,
> sasl, etc) isn't especially useful either.

Yes, except Erlang's libraries aren't closed technologies dictated by a
single monopolistic company trying to pass it as free and open by
standardizing just the language and very basic library.  Anyone can
benefit, anyone can contribute and anyone can use without fear of
dependencies of closed technologies that change depending on
market/financial mood.

>> In the case of Java or Python at least, this leads to cross-platform
>> ease.
>
> Yeah, right. Let me know when you have cross-JVM ease, let alone
> cross-platform ease, with Java.

I run most Java or Python programs unmodified both at the WinBox at work
and at my Linux home box.  The guy coding them doesn't have to worry
about hairy ifdefs or memory management to get it working on different
platforms.  The only requirement is that he uses the standard
cross-platform API and doesn't rely on specific platform services.