POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : quicker render alternatives to povray : Re: quicker render alternatives to povray Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:14:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: quicker render alternatives to povray
From: Warp
Date: 17 Mar 2008 13:09:59
Message: <47deb3f6@news.povray.org>
Rahul <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> BTW, I'm pleasantly surprised to see that many other posters actually thought
> raytracing might be the *fastest* option around!

  This should actually be so when the number of spheres grows (at least when
there's no reflection nor refraction, ie. basically we are using raycasting),
especially compared to alternatives like OpenGL.

  This is because as the number of spheres grows, the rendering time of
OpenGL grows linearly while the rendering time of POV-Ray grows slower
(I'm not exactly sure how much slower, but probably by O(sqrt(n)) or
O(log(n)).) This means that at some point POV-Ray indeed becomes faster
than OpenGL.

--
                                                          - Warp