POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You know you've been tracing too long when... : Re: You know you've been tracing too long when... Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:18:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You know you've been tracing too long when...
From: Warp
Date: 17 Mar 2008 11:28:29
Message: <47de9c2d@news.povray.org>
> In fact, I think if preview is off, it only needs width*2 memory (plus
> width*something used by libpng), not width*height.

  I believe pov3.6 and earlier wrote each rendered scanline to the
image file and then dropped it. Thus it required memory only for one
scanline at a time, which allowed rendering enormous images even in
computers with a small amount of memory.

  In pov3.7, because of the distributed rendering, things have changed
a bit: There are no individual scanlines anylonger. I don't really know
if the entire image is now kept in memory (when there's no preview) or not.
Chris or Thorsten would be much more qualified to answer this.

--
                                                          - Warp