POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You know you've been tracing too long when... : Re: You know you've been tracing too long when... Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:18:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You know you've been tracing too long when...
From: Invisible
Date: 17 Mar 2008 10:31:19
Message: <47de8ec7$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

> 40 megapixel? Hmm how much RAM is it eating? Last time I tried an image
> around that big, POV-Ray crashed.

I have no idea. I haven't looked. I wouldn't expect it to be exceptional...

Assuming the image were exactly 40,000,000 pixels (which it isn't), I
would expect roughly 40,000,000 x 3 bytes = roughly 114 MB. You'd have
to have a fairly underpowered machine to not be able to spare 114 MB.
(Especially given the sequential access - surely most of it would just
be paged out?)

Let me put it this way: I set POV-Ray running, set the processor
affinity so it only uses one core, and then went off to play Farcry.
There was no noticable performance drop. [But then, Farcry is probably
nailing my GPU more than the CPU...]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/