POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adventures with digital painting : Re: Adventures with digital painting Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:24:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adventures with digital painting
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Mar 2008 21:24:44
Message: <47ddd66c@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> No, I'd say it's because C# the language is about as useful as Java the
> language:  not at all!  Both don't work outside their humongous associated
> libraries/frameworks.

Personally, I'm looking into Erlang right now, thinking about how it
might work for the code I have at work. Looks pretty cool, but it's one
of those things that it seems most of the stuff makes sense at the
fundamental assignment/arithmetic/functioncall level, and then there are
libraries for things like "Build a release of several applications that
let you upgrade a running system along with the distributed database
schema without shutting it down." So like the "kernel" and "stdlib"
documents are together 800 pages (something like 60 pages of one-line
descriptions for routines in Kernel), and all the stuff in between is
just huge.

Contrast with C#, where each library is pretty well distinct, for the
most part. You can read about the regexp library without even knowing
about the existence of the dynamic-code-loading library.

I think for anything particularly useful, you're going to have big
libraries anyway. It's hard to build an "enterprise" class application
without a whole bunch of stuff, so why not design a library for
enterprise-class applications and actually use it in your system? C#, I
think, started out with the idea, rather than building it up without
extensive language support like Java did.

Got the book on order, tho, so that should help.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"