POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Need a scripting language : Re: Need a scripting language Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need a scripting language
From: Darren New
Date: 15 Mar 2008 12:44:02
Message: <47dc0ae2$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> ) Use forms to enter data

In a web browser or on the screen?

> ) Store data in a DB
> ) Query said DB through other forms
> ) Create graphical presentations

How graphical?  Like pie charts?

> ) Fetch a web page
> ) Process said web page, looking for specific information

Tcl will do all those things, with minimal work, both for web and GUI.
PHP is probably easiest (bleh) if you're just talking about interacting
via a browser.

> Ideally I would also be able to format data for sending to a printer,
> but that's optional.

Tcl can *format* some stuff for a printer. It's not trivial to get
graphics onto a printer from Tcl. If you're talking about sophisticated
graphics like 3D charts and such, you might want to have Tcl drive
Excel, or output a CSV file that you suck into an Excel spreadsheet.

If you're talking about Windows, any of the .NET stuff will do that.

I bet if you dug around hard enough, you could do it entirely in Word
and Excel, including the DB interface.

There are probably CPAN modules for all that too. I don't do Perl enough
to know, tho.

Also consider breaking it into different parts. Use the scripting
language to do the processing, some image command-line tool to generate
a graphic, something like that...

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"