POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Need a scripting language : Re: Need a scripting language Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:20:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need a scripting language
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 15 Mar 2008 04:28:20
Message: <47db96b4$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:

> ) Use forms to enter data
> ) Store data in a DB
> ) Query said DB through other forms
> ) Create graphical presentations
> ) Fetch a web page
> ) Process said web page, looking for specific information

Hmm... tricky.

I'd say Haskell, except that Haskell will make you do it "properly", no
matter what the cost. That makes for good, strong final applications,
but it's not suited to rapid prototyping at all. Everything you listed
is doable, but it'll take you ages.

I'm struggling to think of any scripting language that's likely to be
able to handle parsing HTML. (Or speak HTTP for that matter.)

I'd suggest Tcl, except that I don't think there's a way to talk to a DB
with that. (Or do the HTML/HTTP part.)

I suppose Perl is insane enough that somebody probably has a binging to
Curl or something, and a half-broken XML parser. Some nutcase wrote a
*game* in Perl, so apparently it has graphical capabilities. [I can't
even begin to imagine how that's even possible...] Obviously, Perl is
not a language to be recommanded to sane human beings.

I can't think of any other scripting languages which might be useful.
Possibly a .Net language if the base libraries provide the
functionallity you want. [Having never seen them, I couldn't say.]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/