POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adventures with digital painting : Re: Adventures with digital painting Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:17:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adventures with digital painting
From: Chambers
Date: 15 Mar 2008 04:08:15
Message: <47db91ff@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Chambers wrote:
>> That's the idea behind metaprogramming, after all.  You write
>> something that gets turned into code for whatever your actual
>> situation is :)
>
> And if the metaprogramming was built into the compiler, I'd agree that C
> is nicely portable.  :-)
>
> C isn't portable. C + autoconf + the dozen tools that autoconf depends
> on + knowing all the arcane invocations you need to include to use
> autoconf is what's portable.
>
> I mean, heck, 6502 assembler is portable, if you write a program to
> interpret it on a bunch of other machines, yes?

Absolutely, and I mean that quite literally.

It just goes to show that sometimes, our ideas of what words should
mean, and the reality of the situation, are very different things.

After all, what is the *point* of portability?  Being able to use the
same program on different machines with minimal work.  Sometimes the
easiest way to do that will surprise you.

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com