POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:16:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Mar 2008 15:39:10
Message: <47dae26e@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> you put the cursor on a cell (either by mouse or arrow key) and it replaces the
previous entry.  You move it with the arrow key, and it goes off the cell as expected.

That was my bad. If you're up in the formula-entry bar, the arrow keys
won't move you out of it, even for up/down. Again, just something I
stumble over. Understandable, but frustrating nevertheless.

>> You replace a cell and go to save the file, and you have to cursor out
>> of the cell before it agrees the spreadsheet is changed.
>
> Didn't happen either.

This is very reproducable for me.

I open a CSV file with "oocalc yadda.csv"
I click on one of the cells that has text.
I type different text without hitting return or anything.
Neither the little floppy icon nor the save menu is enabled.
Click on a different cell, and those menus are both enabled.
Build 2.0.4.7.

Just something I stumble over.  A break in the flow of work where I have
to put away thinking about the next step in order to remember what I do
about this problem. :-)

>> You right-click on the place at the top where you enter equations, and
>> you don't get a copy/paste menu.
>
> This is another software and it does not feature the exact same key
> combos or menu items.

Well, yes.  It hasn't any right-click menu, which I find surprising
given the cells themselves have right-click menus.  I've gotten in the
habit over years of using the right-mouse button. Probably because I
used Smalltalk so much.

> It's such a common complain that people want
> other software to behave *exactly* like the software they're used to.

I'm not used to any other spreadsheet software, if that's what you mean.
I have no idea if Excel does the same sort of thing or not. I just
expect the right-click button on the edit box for a cell to have the
same sorts of options as the right-click box for a cell. It's a
consistency-with-itself thing, not a consistency-with-other-stuff thing.

> But do not fear:  a simple CTRL+C over the cell will copy as expected.
> Much easier than moving the hand away to reach the mouse to reach the
> top bar to reach a stupid submenu for this basic functionality.

Unless you're already in the top bar. :-)

> you're much too cranky these days, Darren...

Yah. Working too hard.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"