POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : xkcd : Re: xkcd Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:21:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: xkcd
From: St
Date: 14 Mar 2008 15:01:53
Message: <47dad9b1$1@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoyATaolDOTcon> wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 19:28:36 -0000, "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
>
>>You'd be surprised at how many of the 'I am man' variety of humans
>>try to fix their gold chain with lead solder! Eeew, not good.  ;)
>
> Super Glue Rules :)

   Heh, yes, that would work without damaging the chain, but not for long as
superglue is one of those glues that can 'snap' out of its hold, ie., when
superglue  sets, it sets as a shiny surface against the item and once that
seal breaks, well you're back to square one...

    Using lead solder (or it's probably more tin now instead of lead, but it
does the same thing), on gold or silver though, is not good because both of
these non-ferrous metals (and probably others too), will literally soak up
the lead solder like a sponge, and then if you try to fix the break whilst
the lead solder is still there, the whole damaged area will melt way too
easily into a blob. The only answer is to take the offending links out. But
yes, I've seen *many* bodge jobs in my time.

    ~Steve~