POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really? : Re: Really? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Really?
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 14 Mar 2008 14:22:01
Message: <47dad059@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook wrote:
> And lo on Thu, 13 Mar 2008 22:24:42 -0000, Sabrina Kilian <"ykgp at
> vtSPAM.edu"> did spake, saying:
>
>> St. wrote:
>>> "Invisible" <voi### [at] devnull> wrote in message

>>>      Good one. I'm surprised that the son had four zero's in his
>>> number, but yeah, it's called 'Sod's Law'.
>>>
>>>      I would have liked to see those cops faces!  :)
>
>> My old phone number ended in 0001. It was fine, till one of the other
>> phone companies used it for unknown numbers. I started getting very
>> angry calls at 4 AM telling me 'I have caller ID, I know you just called
>> me and hung up, don't do that again or <various threat>!' It got bad
>> enough that I needed a new phone number.
>
> Wow we just get "You were called today at [time/date]. The caller
> withheld their number" Likewise any caller id hardware just displays
> "UNKNOWN" or "WITHHELD".

I thought about putting a message like that on my voice mail, so they
would know it wasn't really me. But it all happened after I had been out
of town for a week, so I called the phone company to make sure that no
one had been in my apartment. And to make sure that there were no
glitches in the phone lines, a short somewhere that just happened to
make the right tones to dial these numbers. They changed the number
while they were looking in to the problem.

My suspicion is the Big Phone Company in the area doesn't like the
little local place that handles my phone, and doesn't like sharing their
copper wires with them. Putting one of their numbers as the 'unknown'
might have just been a bit of local politics.