POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:15:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: nemesis
Date: 14 Mar 2008 13:30:25
Message: <47dac441@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> You put the cursor on a cell and start typing, and
> it doesn't replace the entry. You try to cursor off, it doesn't move.

oh, please!  I don't use spreadsheets or text formatters that much, but
I was compelled to test it out.  Downloaded the latest OO and opened it
side by side with Excel under Windows 2000.  Both work as they should:
you put the cursor on a cell (either by mouse or arrow key) and it
replaces the previous entry.  You move it with the arrow key, and it
goes off the cell as expected.

Do you work for Microsoft to be spreading such annoying FUD?

> You replace a cell and go to save the file, and you have to cursor out
> of the cell before it agrees the spreadsheet is changed.

Didn't happen either.

> You right-click
> on the place at the top where you enter equations, and you don't get a
> copy/paste menu.

This is another software and it does not feature the exact same key
combos or menu items.  It's such a common complain that people want
other software to behave *exactly* like the software they're used to.

But do not fear:  a simple CTRL+C over the cell will copy as expected.
Much easier than moving the hand away to reach the mouse to reach the
top bar to reach a stupid submenu for this basic functionality.

> You type something that looks like a URL, then go back
> and try to change it, and it wont let you click the URL to put the
> cursor inside it.

that's true.  Not even in the top bar.  I didn't carefully check
available settings, though.

> All sorts of stuff like that.

Well, only 1 out of 3 issues you mentioned turned out to be true and one
was just the regular "X doesn't behave like Y".

OTOH, I'm testing the Windows version, not Linux, though I don't recall
any problems like that from my home Linux usage to edit my finance tables...

you're much too cranky these days, Darren...