POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adventures with digital painting : Re: Adventures with digital painting Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:18:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adventures with digital painting
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Mar 2008 17:45:16
Message: <47d9ae7c@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> With dd you could copy any section of the file into a new one.

But again, it would take a long time to copy that.  The point is to not
slog a half a terabyte of data from one disk to another in order to do
the processing.

It works out OK. It just takes surprisingly long. :-)  It's automated at
this point, unless I specifically take it off automation, so it's not
like I'm waiting for it. It just kind of surprised me that deleting a
big file could take over a minute. Must be the ext3 journaling or
something going on. Ext was never really optimized for big files.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"