POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : IRTC - Proposal for voting policies : Re: IRTC - Proposal for voting policies Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:13:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC - Proposal for voting policies
From: St
Date: 13 Mar 2008 13:53:45
Message: <47d97839@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:47d84f25@news.povray.org...

> "Mike the Elder" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
>
>> In the case of the TC-RTC, a fairly private email address (the one which
>> I use
>> for POV-Ray and other fairly serious graphics contacts... .i.e. not a
>> "throw
>> away") turns up alongside my name.
>
>     Was that the reason for pulling out? The above that you mention is
> designed *not* to happen, but if you say it has happened, then can you
> show me where or how? <email me if you want, you know my address>

     Ok, I've spotted enough today to see what you mean (even though I
couldn't find _any_ reference to yourself anywhere - maybe my search terms
weren't good enough). But, I don't find this as a serious issue because at
the end of the day, why would you use a private email address to register
for a 3D rendering competition? Forgive me for my ignorance, but isn't the
Big G just one Helluva Big web crawler? Sure, if you publish something, then
yes, it's going to be on Google somewhere.

   However, what I will do, is delete the email field in the fields below an
entrants' main image, but imo, this is a shame because a valid email
address, (private or 'throw away' but valid) is historically used so that
other members/people* can contact them personally if they so want to discuss
possible solutions to problems within the image**. I'm also a member of the
Crysis(tm) (EA/Crytek game) forums, and there, you get the choice to show
your email or not, so I'll get this instigated if possible.

   * Those people possibly being high-end commercial users who know a thing
or two about rendering a good image.

   ** Is this still a valid option? Would people still do this today (email
someone) out-of-the-blue to offer help, or would a forum within the website
be of more help? If so, then there's no need to show an email address
anywhere unless you request it. Thoughts?

    Anyway, this is o-t here, so if that last question can get answered with
some help/opinions, this will be the last time I post here in this thread.

       Steve