POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Upgraded to Windows Vista, now video editing software is dead ... : Re: Upgraded to Windows Vista, now video editing software is dead... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:21:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Upgraded to Windows Vista, now video editing software is dead...
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 13 Mar 2008 11:54:50
Message: <47d95c59@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:

> Warp wrote:
>> Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] rraznet> wrote:
>>> They actually want to play the latest games, which MS still won't
>>> release a XP version of DirectX 10 for?
>>
>>   How many games supporting extra features of DX10 are there? (And how
>> many of those games run at a reasonable framerate when using those extra
>> features with current hardware?)
>>

> Flight Sim has preliminary support, Though come to find out that
> "Supports DirectX 10" on the box wasn't true at all. :(
>
> So, I have no idea if FSX works or looks any better on a DX10 machine,
> still. But I can tell you under XP with a reasonably fast system, it
> either looked like crap or ran dog slow. Your choice.
>
> So, now I'm shopping for a real DX10 video card.

That's true - with XP SP2 on a 3.4 gHz machine with PCI-EX 7950 Nvidia card
(ok, ok, that's a bit dated already, I know!) I rarely get more than 6 FPS
on the ground at an airport. At altitude I can make about 22 on my rig in
FSX. That's with most options on - dropping options doesn't seem to help
much either. Going to 3x on antialiasing makes it unsimmable - 1 or 2 FPS.
--
Stefan