POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adventures with digital painting : Re: Adventures with digital painting Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adventures with digital painting
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Mar 2008 22:05:24
Message: <47d899f4$1@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen wrote:
> Well ok, after that you wrote about chopping the file, which practically
> is what split does, but it should be able to work without creating
> millions of (temp)files in the middle of the process.

The problem is the size of the file. If I split it after the fact, I now
have *two* files, the original and the new one. So now instead of half
an hour of deleting directory entries, I have three hours of copying
data, followed by five minutes of deleting one directory entry.

Split doesn't split a file. It writes new files, each of which contain
pieces of the previous file.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"