POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : USB Hardware riddle : Re: USB Hardware riddle Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:21:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: USB Hardware riddle
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 12 Mar 2008 18:13:32
Message: <47d8639c@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Tim Nikias wrote:
>> I just don't get whats going on. Of course, always using the same USB
>> slot solves the problem, but it IS kinda strange, given the actual
>> idea behind USB, right?
>
> And you're following up on a message where I explained what's going on,
> ya know...

Well, to my defense, I did say that the Headset doesn't actually require
installing or has any disk for that matter. So no matter if there's a
serial number or not, plug&play is what should be happening, not "plug
in one slot and recognize it, plug it in the other and the system has no
frickin clue what the USB device is".

If it would ask to reinstall some weird OS-given drivers that aren't
installed with the basic OS, but are found on the OS' Install CD, I
would have agreed, but since *nothing* is required when plugging it in,
it DOES seem kinda strange that one USB recognizes the Headset and the
other doesn't.

I've got the same headset. Plugging it into any of the 7 USB ports on my
PC (Windows XP) or the two on my Mac (Leopard) doesn't make a
difference, but it does on the two USB slots of my friend's laptop
running Vista.

Regards,
Tim

--