POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : IRTC - Proposal for voting policies : Re: IRTC - Proposal for voting policies Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:22:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC - Proposal for voting policies
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 12 Mar 2008 17:37:40
Message: <47d85b34$1@news.povray.org>
Chris Cason wrote:
> David Buck wrote:
>> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
>> It would probably be a wise move in any event.  If you were to win and
>> the IRTC admins decide to send out prizes (T-shirts, mugs, posters, etc)
>> they'd need to know where to send them to.
>
> Of course we could always ask at the time. Honestly, provision of an
> address is not deterrent for someone who wants to cheat since they'd just
> make one up. However, that said, I think a contact address should be
> provided, but for a different reason.
>
> Do you know how *frustrating* it is to have someone contact you to ask
> permission to use an IRTC image for a good cause, and to have to refuse
> because you can't contact the author?
>
> I do [:-(

Has no one else moved in the last 10 years? I've lived in at least three
different places, and trying to use any but the current address would
probably result in "return to sender". While it's a nice idea, other
then prizes, what does it actually solve?

> I'd also suggest that if entrants have a 'private' email address that they
> don't give out to the public but don't mind giving to the admins, that they
> do so as well, via the registration system. One that they are less likely
> to change, for example.

This sounds like a good idea. However, again, 10 years ago I had an
email address that was 'private' and only given out to a few people. The
company that offered it went under about 8 years ago, and that address
is gone. The domain still exists, but I have no idea who is on the
receiving end of any email sent there and trusting that unknown person
with the authorization to release an image to a company is slightly
scary to me.

Public key signatures could prevent that, but that's another layer of
information to 'require' just to keep you from having to say 'No' to
someone who wants the image.