POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : IRTC - Proposal for voting policies : Re: IRTC - Proposal for voting policies Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:22:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC - Proposal for voting policies
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 12 Mar 2008 17:24:26
Message: <47d8581a$1@news.povray.org>
Chris Cason wrote:
 > It would be neat if in the image submission process, the entrant
could (via
> some click-through legalese) agree that the competition admins may, at
> their discretion, choose to grant third-party requests for non-commercial
> use of their entry if reasonable attempts to contact them fail*. Or have it
> the other way around; make this a default condition of registration/entry
> and require them to opt out of it if they do not wish to do so.

I have to agree with Gilles, it's too vague just like that. While a lot
of us POV-Ray users seem happy to share macros, textures, and final
pictures, I've gotten the impression from some other graphics forums
that the sentiment doesn't carry over to the larger commercial software.
Having the default be to allow third-party use might scare off some
users who do graphics for their professional work as well, since there
is then the large company's question of whether they can use that work
or not if they hire that person.*

Having the licenses be optional would be nice. Offers the best of both
worlds. So would allowing a link to the creator's home page where they
might provide more information about licensing the picture. But that
opens up the possibility of having those pages turned to spam at a later
date.

*It's not a good question from the corporations, but look at the FUD
about the GPL and CC licenses that keeps getting printed. It won't scare
off anyone who knows better, but it may scare off the people who don't
want to read all of the licenses.