POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : IRTC - Proposal for voting policies : Re: IRTC - Proposal for voting policies Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:12:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC - Proposal for voting policies
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 12 Mar 2008 15:20:09
Message: <47d83af9@news.povray.org>

47d82884@news.povray.org...
> I would suggest to make 1st, 2nd and 3rd awards automatic, based on a
> single note for each image/voter, and use a small jury (3 or 4 people) to
> award the T-A-C mentions.

One possibility would be to get rid of Technical/Artistic/Conceptual
mentions altogether but entitle the panel judges to award mentions on
whatever criteria they want, like the "special mentions" in the Cannes Film
Festival.
For instance one entrant in the POVCOMP was a little girl. It was difficult
to rank her image with the rest but on the other hand her image had a real
value (for instance it showed that POV-Ray and Moray could be used for
educational purpose, even with young children). I also remember several IRTC
entries created with self-made raytracers.
A "special mentions" system would allow the jury to reward images that would
be significant in some way or another, in fact for any reason that could
have a particular value beside the overall image quality.

Ideally, voters should be able to have their say here too but I'm not really
sure of the correct method to do that. There could be some sort of
"flagging" system associated with tags, for instance. Images that would be
flagged by enough people for similar reasons could then receive special
awards.

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com