POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wonderful Posters for the Workplace : Re: Wonderful Posters for the Workplace Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:24:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wonderful Posters for the Workplace
From: Chris Cason
Date: 12 Mar 2008 06:59:37
Message: <47d7c5a9$1@news.povray.org>
Kyle wrote:
> If I had to guess, it looks like he's doing some sort of MCU
> programming.  Am I right Chris?

Yep. I'm an embedded (aka 'firmware') engineer in the R&D division of a
multinational electronics firm. I work primarily on high-end broadband
hardware (the sort of stuff that goes in network centers and telephone
exchanges; we don't make consumer broadband gear anymore).

The board you see on my bench is part of a prototype of a new GPON card
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPON) for ATCA racks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Telecommunications_Computing_Architecture

It has a total of six CPU's (one 16-bit PIC, one PPC 8347, plus four
specialized network processors). The gray cable leading from the board goes
to a JTAG-based debugger box.

It's a fairly geeky environment. I run Linux on my desktop and IT doesn't
get to tell me what office suite to use or what specific shade of awful I
must have as my desktop background this week.

-- Chris