POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : USB Hardware riddle : Re: USB Hardware riddle Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:22:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: USB Hardware riddle
From: scott
Date: 12 Mar 2008 06:39:34
Message: <47d7c0f6@news.povray.org>
>> It will, for things like thumb drives. Why it won't for *other* things
>> is beyond me, especially given that a significant number of items are
>> now USB based... :(
>
>  So much for the much-touted plug&play... :P
>
>  (With some devices plug&play works and is really nice. For example,
> if you connect a simple game controller to an USB port, it just works.
> Why can't all USB devices be like that?)

There are some USB standard protocols that are understood by the OS without
the need for any drivers, like for keyboards, mice, game controllers, data
storage etc.  Of course a manufacturer is not forced to use these standards,
but if they don't they will need to provide some extra driver software
(usually providing some extra functionality above the standard OS protocol).

Also what Darren said, for things like game controllers it is very expensive
to add some unique serial number, as there is no other need to have any
non-volatile information stored inside it (unlike a pen-drive or camera).
To store a serial number you will need to add some extra chip and program
it, or hard-code some bit-pattern circuitry inside the device - both
extremely expensive compared to just assembling parts in exactly the same
way.