POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:20:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Mar 2008 17:36:33
Message: <47d70971$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 12:14:34 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> It's not a question of "so many features *I* don't need to use", but
>> "so many features that *most* users don't need to use".
>
> A lot of the bloat comes from features you use without knowing it.

Well, I used to do OS management, so I do know about features like domain
services etc - networking was/is my livelihood. :-)

> A lot of the bloat in Windows, for example, comes from domain services,
> remote management, and so on. None of that gets used by the home user.

True.  Then there's other things like MSN Messenger, which until
relatively recently was installed, started, and you had to really mess
around to get rid of.

> A lot of the bloat in Excel, for example, is including the ability to
> write macros in any .NET language and link them into the spreadsheet,
> and talking to a SQL server from your spreadsheet. Do you do that? No.
> Does the accounting department of a 10,000 person company use that? Sure
> thing.

Well, maybe, maybe not.  It depends on the company.  Thing is, when I'm
operating with a database, I'll use a database program, not a
spreadsheet.  I do a fair bit of that sort of data manipulation, but I
find it easier to use Rekall or oobase as a SQL client to get what I'm
looking for.

>> I don't know that 1-2-3 would be completely useless by modern standards
>> - I think a lot of tasks that people use Excel for these days aren't
>> much beyond what 1-2-3 was capable of.
>
> 99% of *my* use is exiting CSV files. I'm hardly typical either, tho.

exiting? ;-)

Jim