POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Upgraded to Windows Vista, now video editing software is dead ... : Re: Upgraded to Windows Vista, now video editing software is dead... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:24:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Upgraded to Windows Vista, now video editing software is dead...
From: Tim Cook
Date: 11 Mar 2008 17:24:59
Message: <47d706bb$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> And I couldn't get to it.  No way, no how.  So, frustrated, I grabbed a
> monitor to see what the dumb thing had done.  You know what?  It reverted
> EVERY SINGLE CHANGE to the user profile I had put in place.  UAC was
> enabled; Aero was enabled.  VNC wouldn't start; the firewall (which I had
> disabled) was active.  It was as if I had just completed the "first boot"
> setup.

You know what?  MS got sick of users (and third-party programmers) not
liking being told that certain things (like turning off the firewall)
are dumb ideas and doing them anyways.  So they said heck with it, and
now you can't "just turn off" things.  You have to do it correctly.

I don't remember where I got this, might've been here, but this entry in
particular is gold:
http://shippingseven.blogspot.com/2008/01/big-changes.html

Aero I played with a little for a few days, then switched to classic view.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.digitalartsuk.com